One of the hottest new trends in the health world is Baobab. A tree native to tropical regions in Africa, Baobab is anything but new. This mineral and vitamin rich tree produces fruits that have been harvested by African tribes for centuries for medicinal purposes.
Today the fruit is harvested and used in numerous health and wellness products for the extreme benefits the fruit provides:
#1 Nutrition From Whole Foods:
As described by the famous Mayo Clinic, most people are better off to get their nutrition by eating whole, healthy foods than to take concentrated dietary supplements, especially synthetic ones. Whole foods often have greater nutritional value as well are a great source of essential fiber.
Fiber, Fiber, Fiber: Baobab is Packed with both soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber can help control blood sugar levels where as insoluble fiber can aid in digestion by creating roughage in the digestion track!
#2 Baobab is a PREbiotic superfruit:
PREbiotics are not the same as PRObiotics. Dr. Frank W. Jackson explains what PREbiotic are and the benefits they have to offer:
- Prebiotics provide a wide range of health benefits to the otherwise healthy person. Most of these have been medically proven.
- Prebiotics nourish the good bacteria that everyone already has in their gut.
- Prebiotics may be helpful for several chronic digestive disorders or inflammatory bowel disease.
#3 High source of calcium and potassium:
Baobab is one of the best plant sources of the minerals calcium and potassium!
The mineral calcium is well-known for its key role in bone health. Calcium can help maintain heart rhythm, muscle function, and more.
Dr. Susan E. Brown explains, potassium maintains critical fluid balance within the body as well as protects the bodies bones.
#4 Vegan and Gluten-Free:
A raw, vegan and gluten-free functional food Baobab is versatile in the kitchen. Add it to your favorite dressings, bake mixes, and smoothies for extra nutrients and flavor.
It also has natural thickening properties and can be used as a gluten free substitute to thicken sauces instead of using flour, corn starch or cream of tarter. Simply just add a few tablespoons of Baobab powder to any sauce, dressing, or roux to thicken.
#5 Baobab is rich in Antioxidants and a source of Whole Food Vitamin C!
The chart below compares the benefits of Baobab powder to other popular super foods.
Make sure you are selecting the right Baobab:
Due to the recent increase in demand and interest in Baobab many new companies have started carrying the product. It’s important to research your product and ensure that you are receiving the purest form and not one with fillers or impurities.
Atacora is one of the first companies to bring Baobab Powder in to the US as well as other countries. Our Baobab is traditionally hand-processed by our Fair Partnership Women’s Co-op and is made up of 100% Baobab Powder. We personally know all of our producers and like to meet individual customers needs by offering 100% pure Baobab Powder in different sizes and quantities.
STRAWBERRY & BANANA SMOOTHIE BOWL:
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1.5 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of Atacora Baobab Powder
- 3/4 cup of your favorite plant based milk
- Optional: 1 scoop of vegan vanilla protein powder (may need to add extra milk to reach desired consistency)
- Sliced Strawberries
- Sliced banana
- Chia seeds
- Combine smoothie bowl ingredients and blend until completely smooth. Note: the mixture should be thick! Add a touch more liquid if necessary to get it to blend completely smooth or to desired consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl, add toppings and enjoy!
*The benefits of Baobab may vary from person to person so we do encourage you to consult your health professional.